Saturday, April 08, 2006

I Knew It Would Happen One of These Days

I must be one of the ditziest people I know.
I try. I try so hard to be responsible, to be on time, to be one of those trustworthy individuals that everyone can depend on.
But what did I do on Monday night? I completely ruined my reputation for responsibility (flimsy and false though it may be) by blithely walking off the bus without my wallet.
To complicate matters further, I didn't discover this dismaying fact until Wednesday, when I was looking for my wallet so I could buy some groceries. When I couldn't find it, I went into panic mode, and started tearing my room apart. When that yielded no results, I admitted to myself - a sinking feeling beginning to take over my gastrointestinal regions - that most likely, my wallet had wandered away from me, slyly remaining on the bus while I walked away, oblivious.
I felt as if it had betrayed me, like the One Ring betrayed Gollum.
Being one of those stupid people who keep every document necessary for their identity inside their wallet, I knew that if I didn't find my wallet, there could be someone walking around out there, pretending to be me. I knew that they could be spending my money and getting into bars with my driver's license. It was an extreme situation.
You will be pleased to hear, gentle reader, that this grim picture I have been painting for you actually has a ray of hope shining rosily in the corner. The next morning I called the Lost and Found at the bus station, and to my great joy I found out that my wallet had been turned in, completely intact! I took a bus downtown to pick it up, and it was returned to me without a dime missing.
It makes me wonder, though. My entire life, my purses and wallets have struggled to get free from my grip. I have left my wallet in Wal-Mart, in grocery stores, and even at the zoo. Somehow, even the paranoia I now feel about setting my purse down in strange places didn't prevent me from leaving it on the bus last week. So, have I learned my lesson from this close call, or did the fortuitous turn of events that returned my wallet to me also prevent me from truly changing my scatterbrained ways? Will I have to irreversibly lose something in order for me to really learn my lesson?
I sure hope not. I don't think my heart can handle the shock!

No comments: