Thursday, September 15, 2005

Bridal School

I guess it's not really surprising that this subject would come up eventually. After all, I am at Bible School, and the subject of rings and wedding dresses permeates normal, everyday conversation. Sophomores from my freshman year suddenly start sporting bling on their left hand, and they light up like a Christmas tree when someone asks them about it. "This? Yeah... well... he proposed this Saturday. It was so sweet! Yes, I'm excited. It was about time! We're getting married this summer... Oh, thank you, I think it's beautiful too. He picked it out himself, you know..." And the people who just started dating last year are already looking forward to the day when they'll have something shiny and new to show off. One of my closest friends recently told me, "I'd say yes anytime he decided to ask me." That sent a tingle down my spine and a jolt of panic to my heart. Here are my peers, planning their weddings, and I don't even have a boyfriend yet! I wonder sometimes if I'll be so far behind that by the time I'm in a committed relationship, my friends will all be producing children. It's not the most pleasant thought, yet rather unavoidable here in this environment of serious relationships.
I'm just ranting about this now because I spent my supper meal in the company of five other single people, all of whom had differing opinions on the subject of Bridal School. One of the guys, a freshman, was quite adamant that this school was created for the sole purpose of "hooking up." The other guy, in his 3rd year and single (not for lack of trying), was only too happy too agree. The two other girls were on the opposite side of the argument. They felt that most people were here because of the education.
I don't know where I stand! On the one hand, I'm not here to meet a guy, and I never have been. I know that a lot of my peers don't have that goal in mind either. However, we all dream a little... we all wonder, hey, what if... and what better place to find "the one" than in an environment full of people your own age who all espouse the same values you do? And having a boyfriend wouldn't be at all unpleasant.
That's why I want to trust God with this year. I'm not on the prowl, I'm no cougar, and the freshmen don't hold (very much) attraction for me. However, I have an extremely hot dress for the Christmas banquet, and I wouldn't mind a hot date. We'll see if that's in God's plans for me this year, and if it's not - well then, I won't be disappointed.
The year is a fresh slate, and no one knows what will happen yet! It hasn't even been two weeks yet! The very thought is both depressing and exciting.
~For every matter has its time and way, although the troubles of mortals lie heavy on them. Indeed, they do not know what is to be, for who can tell them how it will be? ~ Ecclesiastes 8:6-7

No comments: