Monday, September 12, 2005

Am I a racist?

Last night I watched a movie called Crash. It was so intense! I think the point of the whole movie was that everyone has some racist tendencies, whether we're aware of them or not. And we all can be subjected to racism. Needless to say, it was a little disturbing. And today, during every class, even during my job interview this afternoon, I was so sensitive to every nuance that could possibly be construed to racism. Everything I said suddenly became subject to the closest scrutiny, imposed by myself, of course. But it's a subject that I think that Canadians don't really think about a lot. And we need to!
I don't mean this to be a tirade against every injustice imposed upon humankind. I'm not political like that at all. I'd much rather listen to Adventures in Odyssey than the news. But there's something about a discussion of social injustices - a discussion not just about the concepts, but about the actual reality of how those injustices affect everyday people - there's something about such a discussion that makes you feel as if your mind has been expanded, just a little, an extra fringe of awareness on the edges of your schemas. And that's a good feeling.

No comments: